In one of the biggest developments in the smartphone business segment, the Samsung Galaxy S5 has finally been unveiled to the public. In one of the most eagerly awaited launches of 2014, the company has announced big plans for its new flagship product continuing the dream run of the Galaxy series in major business markets. A detailed list of the hardware and other features has not been revealed by the company and it is also mum on the expected price for this behemoth as of yet. The Korean mobile phone manufacturer however put a launch date for this flagship smartphone. From April 11, 2014, the phone will be available across 150 countries. Some of the biggest features on the all new Galaxy S5 include a fingerprint scanner on the home button, heart rate sensor and IP67 certification which translates into cutting edge water and dust resistance.
The Galaxy S5 also flaunts a strikingly new design with a perforated back panel and four new colors that were showcased at its launch in addition to designer back panels that are totally optional. This smartphone does have quite a few winning aces up its sleeve as far as features are concerned.
An approximate idea of the features and specifications of the Samsung Galaxy S5
The Samsung Galaxy S5 will come with Android’s Kit Kat 4.4.2 powerful OS and will also have a quad core, 2.5 GHz processor which has not been named yet. Alongside, the smartphone will also possess a 5.1 inch High Definition Super AMOLED display with 1080 by 1920 pixels of resolution. The phone will also have 2 GB of RAM along with separate 32 GB and 16 GB variants. Micro-SD slots ensure that memory can be scaled up to a whopping 64 GB.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 also possesses a 13 megapixel primary camera at the rear which has HDR image and video capabilities as well. Alongside, there is also a front camera of 2.1 megapixels which is ideal for video calling and chatting functions. UHD video recording is possible with the primary camera, at 30 fps with additional video stabilization features and HDR functionality. The smartphone also comes with a plethora of connectivity options for users. These include Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with special MIMO capabilities, Bluetooth 4.0, 4G LTE, Infrared remote capabilities, ANT+, NFC and USB 3.0 among others. Wi-Fi and LTE can also be innovatively combined for supremely faster downloads using the special Download Booster feature on the device.
Additional features and specifications of the Samsung Galaxy S5
The Samsung Galaxy S5 will also possess a powerful 2800 mAh battery which is slated to provide standby time of about 390 hours and talk time of 21 hours. The weight of the smartphone is a little more than the Galaxy S4 model, at 145 grams and the dimensions stand at 142 x8.1 mm x72.5 which makes it a little thicker as compared to the Galaxy S4. Four color variants have been unveiled for the device, namely Shimmery White, Copper Gold, Charcoal Black and Electric Blue.
The smartphone will also work perfectly with Samsung’s first ever Super AMOLED, curved wristband, the Gear Fit which focuses on health. Samsung is also set to dissipate all possible security concerns of smartphone enthusiasts with the KNOX software for security in its latest and updated avatar. Along with top of the line data security, customers will also receive preloaded services such as Photos, Chrome, Google Settings, Drive, Maps, Gmail, Google, Hangouts, Google+, Play Books, Play Music, Play Newsstand, Play Store, Play Games, YouTube, Play Movie & TV and Voice Search among others.
Alongside, there are some innovative and unique features on this smartphone which deserve special mention and are sure to be a resounding hit with customers. These include the following:
- IP67 certification or greater water and dust resistance which makes the smartphone one of the toughest devices in its category
- The specially incorporated heart rate sensor which is a first in the industry. There is a little bump just below the lens of the rear camera. This is the sensor which will help users track all activities, plan workouts and keep a tab on their overall activity levels. This is used in tandem with the S-health fitness app which provides workout plans. The Gear Fit or Gear 2 can also be used with this sensor
- There is a fingerprint sensor right on the home button, taking a cue from Apple. This is placed on the home button and promises greater security. Alongside, Samsung guarantees the non-wiping of any user’s personal pattern off the device. The sensor can be used for transactions, payouts, sign-ins and more such activities
- The power saving mode on this device ensures the killing of all services and apps that are not essential and the screen transforms into a black and white avatar which generates 24 hours of power for the last 10 percent of remaining battery life on your smartphone
- There is a special mode for kids which helps users decide on the games, apps and services that are ideal for children
- Download Booster feature which combines both Wi-Fi connectivity and LTE for supremely faster downloads which should be a huge plus for movie, music, gaming and app freaks
- Shutterbugs will rejoice at the 0.3 seconds of autofocus lag on the smartphone camera which eliminates all possible delays which arise from obstructions while focusing
- The Touch Wiz user interface is another nice addition to this smartphone. The customized UI should help even first time users
- There is a Galaxy Gifts feature that provides users special bonuses and freebies from some major application makers such as The Wall Street Journal, LinkedIn, Evernote, PayPal and Box
- There is a private mode on this smartphone will allow you to put away your videos, images and other important files safely. This will keep all your personal data like bank documents and IDs from being revealed to other people. They will only be accessed via the fingerprint scanner which will only allow your unique pattern.
All in all, this seems like a power packed and innovative device that is sure to take the Galaxy brand to newer heights in global markets!